CELEBRATE DESKFAST DAY WITH FUTURELIFE®
Are you the parent who is rushed to get the kids to school punctually and has no spare time to eat? Perhaps the snoozer who would rather enjoy an extra 10 minutes of sleep than use that time to eat at home. Maybe you’re the busy executive catching up on e-mails or preparing for meetings and you forget about breakfast. Over the last few years, peoples’ lifestyles have changed which often means many of them are unable to enjoy a breakfast at home. But, as lifestyles change, so must breakfast. So, we’re encouraging South Africans to not skip breakfast; rather have it at your desk, a Deskfast!
WHAT IS SOUTH AFRICAN DESKFAST DAY?
Deskfast day isn’t a foreign concept internationally. It is celebrated annually on the 12th of April. FUTURELIFE® have decided to bring it to South Africa since 2018. Our aim is to encourage South Africans that despite their occupation or busy lifestyles, which often means breakfast can’t be enjoyed at home, breakfast shouldn’t be skipped. So, essentially no matter what their desk is in the morning, be it in the car, at the office, or on an early morning shift, they should make time for breakfast, or rather a Deskfast in this case!
WHY IS BREAKFAST SUCH AN IMPORTANT MEAL?
There is a long list of benefits for eating breakfast. To list a few, these includes:
- Assists in ensuring that you meet your daily nutrient requirements. This is often difficult to meet when you skip a meal as all nutrients can’t always be packed into a limited number of meals during the day.
- A balanced, low GI (glycaemic index) meal helps to increase and stabilise your blood sugar levels which are generally low when you wake up in the morning. If your low blood sugar levels are not corrected you may feel tired, lethargic, shaky and experience poor concentration1.
- Assists in weight management as skipping breakfast is linked to overweight and obesity globally2.
- Skipping breakfast negatively affects parameters such as memory, concentration, performance and attendance.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO HAVE BREAKFAST ON-THE-GO?
- Firstly, preparation is key. Plan your Deskfast in advance so that you’re forced to make it a habit. Make sure that you have the necessary ingredients available and that these are healthy options to keep you on track.
- Time is probably a concern if you’re already skipping breakfast so make sure you keep your Deskfast simple (e.g. does not require cooking, easy to eat on-the-go).
- Make sure you have the right equipment (e.g. lunch bag to keep it cool, a shaker if you’re making a smoothie/shake or a bowl and cutlery).
FUTURELIFE® IS THE IDEAL BREAKFAST
Your breakfast should meet the following criteria and so should your Deskfast:
- Low GI- to keep you fuller for longer and give you sustained energy levels.
- High in fibre- for good digestive health.
- Contain a balance of all food groups- most breakfasts are usually high in carbohydrates only.
- Contain a variety of vitamins and minerals- to meet your daily requirements.
- Be portion controlled- to maintain a healthy weight.
FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ ticks all the boxes. Mixing instantly with just water or milk, it requires no cooking, making it convenient for the whole family and a popular Deskfast option. FUTURELIFE® Smart food™ provides an internationally recommended blend of energy from Carbohydrates, Proteins and Fats, 22 Vitamins and Minerals delivering 50% daily requirements for most vitamins and minerals, and additional functional ingredients in a 50g serving with low fat milk. The additional functional ingredients include inulin (prebiotic), fibre and MODUCARE® which is a daily immune supplement made from a patented blend of plant sterols and sterolins. In addition to its delicious taste (available in 4 flavours), the product is also versatile and can be enjoyed as a meal, snack, shake or smoothie so you’ll never get bored of the same old Deskfast every day. You can also purchase the product in a convenient portion controlled 50g sachet or if you prefer to buy in bulk, a 500g or 1.25kg box.
So, whether it’s in the car, taxi or bus on the way to work or even sorting through emails at the office, always make time to take a brief break, enjoy a healthy and nutritious meal, a delicious shake or even a nutrient-packed smoothie while continuing busy work schedules.
- L. Kathleen Mahan, Sylvia Escott-Stump (2008). Krause's Food & Nutrition Therapy.