FUTURELIFE®: ON THE HUNT FOR SOME TASTY TREATS THIS EASTER!
Easter, a time of reflection and gratitude, surrounded by those you cherish and hold dear to your heart. If you’re anything like me, quality time with your loved ones is often accompanied by hearty meals and yummy snacks. Not to mention all the little kids running around with their faces painted and of course, looking for those eggs you worked so hard to hide. Easter eggs hunts: proof your child can find things when they really want to. Right?
Having to cater for these kinds of occasions can be very overwhelming which is why we thought we’d step in.
We all love to nibble on our favourite snacks throughout the day. So, why would Easter be any different? It’s important to remember that snacks form a crucial component of our daily dietary intake. Although snacking when hungry tends to be associated with the consumption of health-promoting foods, snacking in the absence of hunger leads to the consumption of fat, sugar, and sodium-rich foods¹. Therefore, it is important to eat meals regularly throughout the day with healthy snacks in between to avoid any hunger surges.
Snack consumption may also be initiated because of celebratory social occasions as well as the availability of or desire for tempting food². If we’re really being honest, there is just something about holidays that make you want to indulge a little bit more. At FUTURELIFE®, our team of Dietitians believe that a well-balanced diet is a much more healthier, sustainable approach. Current literature suggests that in order to promote healthy eating habits, parents must strike a balance between setting reasonable limits, providing healthful foods and structured eating occasions, and supporting children’s unique food preferences and regulation of appetite³.
In all the hustle and bustle, let’s not forget that the simple task of sitting down to enjoy a meal with those you love does wonders for the soul and in fact, has some really amazing benefits. Studies have found that the frequency of family meals is positively associated with myriad outcomes, including better school performance, fewer risky behaviours, improved mental health and social competence⁴. Gathering around the table to enjoy a few tasty treats is exactly how you should be spending Easter this year.
PREPARATION IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS
Family gatherings can get a little crazy at times. You might even encounter an unexpected visit from a family member who was supposedly “in the area”. Having a few easy, tasty snacks on hand could be just the saving grace you need. The beautiful part about the FUTURELIFE® range is that it has so many products which can be easily adapted to create delicious meals, smoothies and snacks.
Reabetjoe Mokoko, a Registered Dietitian and chef, shared some of her favourite recipes featuring FUTURELIFE® products, showing us just how easy it is to make Easter snacking a treat this year. You’re officially all set to host Easter this year. No eggs-cuses!
1. PEANUT BUTTER CRUNCH BALLS
(Makes 18-20 servings)
- 2 cups FUTURELIFE® Vanilla Kid's Cereal
- 2 cups FUTURELIFE® Granola Crunch Original flavour
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 1/3 cup Honey
- ½ cup Peanuts, crushed
- 100g Dried Fruit Flakes
- Dark Chocolate, melted for dipping
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the peanut butter and honey until melted and smooth (approx. 1 minute).
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, then add the melted peanut butter and honey and mix together.
- Divide the mixture equally using a spoon, then shape into balls using the palms of your hands - wet hands if they get sticky while shaping.
- Place into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for at least an hour, allowing the balls to firm up and set.
- Once set, drizzle melted chocolate over the balls or dip each to halfway in the dark chocolate.
2. YOGHURT DRIZZLE CLUSTER BARS
(Makes 2 servings)
Ingredients for Bars:
- 100 ml full-cream plain yoghurt
- 3 cups FUTURELIFE ® Kid's Cereal (any flavour but we used strawberry)
- ½ cup Dried fruit flakes
- ½ cup Honey
Ingredients for Yogurt Drizzle:
- 50ml Yoghurt
- ½ cup (125ml) Icing sugar
3. POPCORN & STRAWBERRY POPS BOWLS
(Makes 2 servings)
- 2 cups FUTURELIFE ® Strawberry Kid's Cereal
- 2 cups Popcorn
In my personal opinion, a well-balanced lifestyle should be attainable all year round, especially during special occasions. This Easter, take some time to appreciate those around you and make sure to let them know just how much they mean to you. Our health truly is our greatest wealth and every conscious decision we make to improve it, is a step in the right direction.
- Bellisle F. Meals and snacking, diet quality and energy balance. Physiol Behav 2014;134:38–43.
- Hess JM, Jonnalagadda SS, Slavin JL. What Is a Snack, Why Do We Snack, and How Can We Choose Better Snacks? A Review of the Definitions of Snacking, Motivations to Snack, Contributions to Dietary Intake, and Recommendations for Improvement. Advances in Nutrition 2016, 7(3): 466–475.
- Blaine RE, Kachurak, A, Davison KK. et al. Food parenting and child snacking: a systematic review. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 14 (2017) 146.
- Offer S. Family Time Activities and Adolescents' Emotional Well‐being. Journal of Marriage and Family (2013); 75(10):1741-3737.
DATE: April 2023
Author: Shannen Singh RD (SA)